Just came across 2 useful resources for WP7 development.
1. Microsoft Press - Programming Windows Phone 7, by Charles Petzold.
The book has over 1000 pages covered in 24 chapters. Haven’t gone through the complete contents of the book, but by a glance, this looks to be a comprehensive guide to WP7 development. Click here to know more and how to download the e-book.
2. Blog site - http://www.jeffblankenburg.com/post/31-Days-of-Windows-Phone-7.aspx .
This blog gives a brief walkthroughs with screenshots about a concept. Very easy to understand and learn.
Hope it helps!
With Windows Phone 7 Developer tools being released last month, this presents you all an opportunity to develop and submit your apps to earn some cash :o.
To get ready with WP7 development, download the web installed for Windows Phone 7 Developer Tools. This will install Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone, the Windows Phone Emulator, Expression Blend 4 for Windows Phone, and XNA Game Studio 4.0.
So If you have Visual Studio 2010 already installed, this Developer tools will install the necessary VS templates. Along with that, it’ll install the Visual Studio 2010 Express for Phone. The Express edition is completely free and you can develop exactly same applications irrespective of Express edition tag (you just need to register it once within 30 days). Note that an ISO is also available for complete download.
WP7 Development is very easy. You just need pre-requisite knowledge of C# for coding. If you are a fan of VB, don’t worry, VB for WP7 Developer Tools just got released as CTP and are available for download from here. You can chose 2 development paths for building your phone application – Silverlight for creating data centric apps and XNA for creating games. Though you can still create games using Silverlight and other apps with XNA, these frameworks are best built in interest of the developers.
Some Links to get started -
1. Scott Gu’s blog post on creating a sample Twitter Application.
2. Windows Phone 7 Developer Blog.
3. MSDN - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff402535(VS.92).aspx
4. MSDN Samples - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff431744(VS.92).aspx
5. Windows Phone 7 in 7 Minutes (videos) – This site is very good for getting an intro to various aspects of development. Check them first!
6. Windows Phone 7 Training Kit – contains sample projects and walkthroughs.
7. Channel 9 post – This contains many more sample links.
8. Jump Start Training – 12 part series to walk you through WP7 development.
9. Silverlight Toolkit for WP7 – additional controls.
10. Mobile Advertising SDK – to earn money from Ads.
11. Windows Phone 7 Design Guide ver 2 – Design principles for Metro UI.
As you’ll see, you don’t really need a Windows Phone to develop, the developer tools provide you with an emulator that simulated the exact phone behavior. So go ahead and start developing for WP7!
I’ll soon be posting my experiences and samples from WP7 Development.